From Fan History Wiki
Farpoint is a Star Trek-based convention held annually, originally in Hunt Valley, Maryland at the Marriott Hunt Valley Inn, and moved to Timonium, Maryland at the Crowne Plaza Baltimore North in 2009. Farpoint began as the successor to OktoberTrek, though it later moved to February. It is one of the last remaining fan-run Star Trek conventions, along with Shore Leave (which is held annually at the same location). Programming and guests have expanded to include other science fiction media fandoms including Babylon 5, Firefly, and Battlestar Galactica. Generally there is some representation of fan fiction in the programming and several fanzine publishers in the dealers room.
- The first Farpoint was held in 1993. Approximately 1,100 people attended.
- In 1998 the convention had to move to the Omni in Baltimore due to hotel contract problems, and attendance numbers dropped to 460.
- The convention returned to the Marriott Hunt Valley Inn for 1999, where it remained until 2009 when it moved to the Crowne Plaza Baltimore North, it's 2010 location as well, although attendance numbers have never returned to the highs seen in the early 1990s for OktoberTrek.
- In 2003, attendees found themselves trapped at the hotel Sunday morning after a blizzard dumped over 30 inches of snow on Maryland and road travel was banned except by emergency vehicles. The convention continued for many through Monday and Tuesday of the following week due to the storm, causing the convention to be renamed Snowpoint by those stuck on the premises.
- Panel topics at the 2006 Farpoint included fandoms such as Lord of the Rings, Lost, Supernatural, 24, Stargate, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, CSI, Harry Potter, Prison Break and of course Star Trek.