From Fan History Wiki
lol_meme is an anonymous meme on Dreamwidth, though previously on JournalFen. It shows some similarities to a hate meme, but BNF-bashing is far outweighed by joke-telling, discussion of current events, requests for advice, and wank. This broadness of focus, along with its moderators' efforts to delete or screen anything in blatant violation of JournalFen's terms of service, has allowed it to avoid the deletion that most other anonymous memes face. The anon commenters come from many fandoms, the most prominent being Harry Potter, Heroes, bandslash, House, Doctor Who, LOTR, and Japanese and Korean pop music, and comments include fandom standbys like picspams, badfic reposting, and meta discussions of various levels of seriousness.
lol_meme came about in August 2006, in the wake of Aja's deletion of the popular pandamemes. It also gained many participants after being featured on Clairvoyant Wank (though that wank report has since been deleted). Now, the meme logs thousands of comments a day, and maintains a list of "known memers" numbering at least one hundred.
lol_meme is quite persistent. In late March 2007, JournalFen went down because of a Denial of Service attack. This took lol_meme with it. Because of this, the meme was moved to GreatestJournal.  Even after JournalFen's problems were addressed, the meme was still having some what sporadic updates on GreatestJournal.
lol meme is a meme on JournalFen where outing happens on a regular basis. The people who maintain lol_meme make an effort to remove instances where meme participants connect people who are known to want to not have their real names connected to their fan names, people like Cassandra Claire. They remain diligent at this task. There are some exceptions that have changed over time, where they are no longer as diligent and will allowing "outings" to remain with out being deleted. One example includes Naomi Novik.
The culture on the meme permits this for the lulz. It makes following the meme educational as you can find out fandom secrets like these identities that fans are not careful enough in protecting. Outing is perfectly acceptable and view that way by the participants.
People who have been outed on lol_meme include:
Example threads by topic
Cassandra Claire, whose real name was revealed on lol_meme by an anonymous poster once suspected to be Angua9, is a regular target of ire and mockery. Memers rarely refer to her by her fandom name, however, perhaps fearing that this would draw Claire's or Heidi8's attention via search engine hits.
- STUPID FANGIRLS. THIS IS WHY I NEVER WANT TO BE INTERNET FAMOUS. I DON'T WANT TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH STUPIDS SUCH AS THAT.
- I'm disappointed in CC's real name.
- SRSLY, I'VE MISSED BOODITH'S REAL LAST NAME EVERY TIME. IT ALWAYS GETS DELETED BEFORE I SEE IT. D: ALTHOUGH...I DO KNOW PEOPLE WHO'VE MET HER IRL. MAYBE I SHOULD ASK THEM?
The overlap between lol_meme commenters and Fandom Wank readers is considerable, though estimates about its specific size vary. Fandom Wank in-jokes appear frequently on lol_meme, as do commentaries on Wank-community posts and big-name wankas. A vocal minority pursues an ongoing jihad against Fandom Wank and all mentions thereof.
- Okay, lets talk cabal. here are the mockitymock members
- IT ALWAYS MAKES ME SAD WHEN I REALIZE LOL_MEME IS NO DIFFERENT THAN FANDOM_WANK.
- THE THREAD IN WHICH PYRATEJENNI THREATENED CHIEF'S ICON
lol_meme will wank about anything. Anything. Most wank-topics, however, touch in some way on race, class, or gender.
- SEWING MACHINES: YOU NEED A PHD TO OPERATE ONE, AND THAT'S WHY THEY'RE USED BY ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN SWEATSHOPS? Y/Y
- I HATE WHEN FAT PEOPLE MAKE EXCUSES FOR THEIR WEIGHT.
- PEOPLE WHO POST LISTS OF THEIR NON-STAPLE GOODS PURCHASES SUCH AS DVD BOX-SETS AND SPARKLY COSMETICS ANNOY THE FUCK OUT OF ME.
- DOCTOR WHO MICE - WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THOSE ROBERT CARLYLE RUMORZ?
- I ALMOST FEEL SORRY FOR THE PERSON WHO SUGGESTED CASTING SOME AMERICAN AS DOCTOR WHO. ALMOST.
- I KNOW THIS GREAT HARRY/DRACO NON-CON WHERE DRACO BLACKMAILS HARRY INTO HAVING SEX WITH HIM AND THEN HARRY LIKES IT SO MUCH THEY DO IT A BUNCH. IT'S DIALOGUE ONLY AND SUPER-HOT, AND THE GOODS ARE LEFT UP TO THE IMAGINATION. IF I COULD ONLY REMEMBER WHO WROTE IT....
- HARRY/VOLDEMORT--OH, EXCUSE ME, HARRY/"TOM"--IS ROYALLY PISSING ME OFF RIGHT NOW. MEME, TEACH ME TO STOP CARING.
- QUICK REC ME SOME KINKY HP SLASH!