From Fan History Wiki
- 1939- Timely Comics founded.
- 1941- A young office assistant, Stanley Lieber, under the pen name Stan Lee, becomes editor. Captain America begins publication, written and drawn by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby.
- 1950s-Known as Atlas comics
- 1961- Fantastic Four begins publication in November of 1961
- 1962- A short story about a teenage boy who is bitten by a radioactive spider is published in the final issue of about-to-be-defunct sci-fi comic Amazing Fantasy.
- 1963 After several months of enthusiastic fanmail about Peter Parker, Amazing Spider-Man begins publication in March of 1963.
Below is a partial timeline of events in the Marvel fan fiction community.
- During the 1970s, fan fiction writers writing material based on Marvel Comics creations created mimeographed fanzines that they circulated quietly. These zines included fan fiction, fan art and reviews. (Jeanne Burch)
- On November 11, 2004, the LiveJournal community 3_ships was founded.  It is a threesome secret santa community. Fandoms represented by this community include: Angel, Battlestar Galactica, Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, DCU, Doctor Who, Firefly, Harry Potter, House, Lord of the Rings, Marvel, Pirates of the Carribean, Stargate, Stargate Atlantis, Supernatural, X-Files.
Marvel does not have a single, unified fanfiction community; instead, fans of various segments of the Marvel universe (such as the X-Men comics, the X-Men movies, Spider-Man, the Avengers, and so on) tend to form their own individual communities. There are also significant amounts of fannish discussion on various message board sites.
- Burch, Jeanne. "Re: The first fanfic?" rec.arts.anime.misc. 11 Jun. 1999.