From Fan History Wiki
The extent of her efforts was revealed in an incident known as "Wankity Fair". A blogger with the pseudonym charlottelennox wrote a multipart document entitled The Ms Scribe Saga on the Bad_Penny community on JournalFen starting June 15, 2006 . This retelling produced compelling evidence that linked msscribe irrevocably to many of the contentious incidents that had taken place in the Harry Potter fandom from early 2003 to 2006, partially through the use of sock puppets. Msscribe's motivation was to advance herself in fandom and cultivate friendships with key fans like Cassandra Claire. This news both entranced and rocked the fandom.
Her use of sock puppets to attack herself, her friends and various related others was intended to create a sense of camaraderie between herself and those she regarded as of high status in the fandom and this was largely successful until her dramatic exposure by charlottelennox.
The Full Story
MsScribe uploaded two fanfics at Portkey in late December, and registered for the Portkey forums soon after.    The day after she introduced herself, she created the first sockpuppet, Clarabella_21, who existed solely to promote and compliment MsScribe's fanfiction.     All posts made by Clarabella on PK She also created Davis517, who flamed MsScribe and then became a fan, and sarahkjames, who existed, like Clarabella, in order to promote MsScribe's fanfiction.
MsScribe created account for Clarabella and Sarahkjames on livejournal and then FictionAlley.  She continued to use them to promote her work; however, in this move, she made her first slips with regard to the backgrounds she had given them. Originally, Clarabella was "31, 2 kids, living in New Jersey" , but on FA she was "a 19-year-old childless Rutgers university student", and there were differences between the birthdays given for both sockpuppets on the various sites. 
MsScribe made her famous "Baby Dykes" post on February 26, 2003.  The responses to it proved that people would respond positively to her if she made witty ripostes to angry Christians, which helped set the stage for the second round of sockpuppets. She also continued to post funny or moving stories of unknown veracity, which continued to aid in her popularity; these stories occasionally featured anonymous or sockpuppet comments (presumably by herself) which railed at MsScribe for her shipping preferences or morals.    She also posted or received the famed "abused Pakistani woman" comment:
- I live in pakistan and my husband is very dominant but I come to this place to escape. I read you and cassie and lissane and babygrrl and cadey to escape the reality i deal with. I get beat regularly but here I am powered. When I read your story taking him, i cry because i understand what happening. I understand what feel like to be hurt in that way and this fantasy help me deal with it. It wasn't porn at all it was powerful and my husband do bite me to hurt me and he do hit me but i can escape here. He let me read harry potter and this stuff because he don't know about the sexy stories but i find myself through all of you strong women. He can never have all of me and i stay with him because of duty to family and duty to children but he can never take all of me. my mind is strong even if my body is not and i want to thank you for writing story like you do and understanding women like me and why it make us feel strong to know women can use strong words. 
MsScribe continued to attack herself in order to play for sympathy.  She also pretended to have been in an accident around March 21, 2003, with Clarabella making posts for her and watching her daughter.
On March 26, she created FermatoJam, the first of several sockpuppets to attack MsScribe and Cassandra Claire (and, later, others) because of her "loose morals". He supposedly hated slash and pornography.  His comment to CC By attacking Claire as well as MsScribe, he lumped her together with one of the most famous names in the fandom - and his "Big Name Sinners" list (which listed MsScribe and her favorite authors) continued to help her in this way. The list was taken as a sort of "who's who" of fandom, and it became desirable to be on it. While MsScribe pretended to be action against FermatoJam, even pretending to have caught him and filed a police report, no report or person exists.  She later created Killiganhashope, supposedly an acquaintance of FermatoJam, Pottersginny, supposedly a member of Gryffindor Tower, and Melodyannsings. Due to StalkerGate, Gryffindor Tower had antipathy to Cassandra Claire and Heidi8; Nimbus was an upcoming con with a strong connection to Heidi8: therefore, MsScribe stood to gain popularity with Cassandra Claire and at Nimbus by attacking Gryffindor Tower.
Pottersginny "attacked" MsScribe, calling her a "zebra", Cassandra Claire for making dismissive remarks about Harry/Ginny, and other livejournallers for being "sluts". These attacks gave MsScribe more popularity and friends. Pottersginny repeatedly made references to how much she liked Gryffindor Tower, to which GT belatedly responded by saying that they were not affiliated with her, although this did not stop the smears to their reputation. Their time was immediately taken up in protecting themselves from being attacked on all fronts. MsScribe also publicized an ill-thought-out comment by a GT mod about "moral distance".  She also created a parody livejournal community, GT_hidden_room, in order to make fun of the GT mods, with sexually-named and -iconed parody sockpuppets of each person.  However, real people, including MsScribe and Cassandra Claire, posted in the community, and several FA mods were maintainers of the community. Example post 
In late May 2003, carissa_lynn, a Gryffindor Tower mod, posted to her livejournal that she had IP evidence that confirmed that the GT_hidden_roomsockpuppets were created by MsScribe, and "Clarabella" responded, saying that she had made them on Msscribe's computer, although she wasn't the only one, but that Killiganhashope and the original FermatoJam comments were real. MsScribe deleted Clarabella's journal, then brought her back for a tearful apology and reconciliation, then threatened GT as herself. 
Gryffindor Tower assembled a great deal of IP evidence against MsScribe, showing that the IPs of all of the trolls had been used by her and Clarabella, through Comcast, Time Warner, a Delaware "eduproxy", and various anonymizers. At first she had made efforts to keep the various accounts separate, but as she was required to do more and more with more sockpuppets, she let them overlap. The GT evidence A pro-MsScribe version The definitive CharlotteLennox version At the time, this evidence was considered insufficient by MsScribe's suppporters, and ironically only helped GT become more disliked.    A few days later, MsScribe was made a FA mod. 
Also in July of 2003, MsScribe shut down her sockpuppets (Clarabella left for an internship, and she, sarahkjames, and davis517 all deleted their Portkey accounts within ten minutes of each other) and claimed to have lost her job because of her Harry Potter NC-17 fanfiction. MsScribe's occupation was never clear:
- Okay, so this is the story... Msscribe was on a 12-week leave after a head injury in an auto accident, which ended by mid-February. At that time, she returned to her job as a backup singer, working regularly, though she sometimes got days off. However, in late March she was hospitalized due to delayed complications from the earlier accident, which must have been at least four months in the past by that time, nearly died, and suffered the symptom of being too weak on the right side of her body to dress herself (though not too weak to pick up her toddler with her right arm), necessitating an in-home babysitter/dresser who either drove for 45 minutes to get there either occasionally or three times a week, or lived with her, depending on which version you believe. However, between March 31 and May 23 -- and despite her severe health problems that did not allow her to dress herself -- Msscribe not only changed careers and got a new job, but she performed so well in her new job (in spite of the fact that she frequently posted on Live Journal during office hours) that she was rewarded with a lovely new office. 
MsScribe's boss and the newspaper had apparently been sent copies of her Harry Potter smut, and she chose to resign in order to save his political career. Someone - very possibly MsScribe - wrote the episode up for Fandom Wank, implying that MsScribe's "enemies" (GT) had done this to get back at her. 
- Well, I don't know whether she ever knew it, but her little stunt about "being sacked for writing Harry Potter filth" made the British tabloid press, even if without a name or place. I've no doubt she would be pleased if she knew, but that kind of attention is definitely unwelcome for everyone else. Lil Sheperd
On August 8, 2003, a new sockpuppet called "Watchful_Entity" was set up: there is no hard evidence that this was MsScribe, but it seems likely that it was.  This sock never commented on anyone's livejournal, thus keeping its IP address a secret. The sock spawned many parodies, and also revived the GT smear campaign as well as continuing to publicize MsScribe. When GT finally fell in September 2003 , MsScribe created a new sockpuppet , Karma_Bitch , who reported the affair to Fandom Wank with a vindictive tone. 
MsScribe's next sockpuppet was Fandom_Scruples, made along the same lines as Watchful_Entity. Arabella made a negative post about fluffy incest (in response to Cassandra Claire's Mortal Instruments), and MsScribe created Sporkify in order to post this as wank.  Soon, MsScribe has created Fandom_Scruples, which allied itself with Arabella, made a list of "good" fanfiction writers, and a second list of people who posted smut without locking it away from minors. Within hours, Sporkify (certainly MsScribe ) had reported it it Fandom Wank.
- Think about that for a moment: A sockpuppet LJ is created. Someone finds it within hours (how?) and reports it to Fandom Wank. Who could this be? It had to be either the person who created it, or one of the people it friended. There is no other serious possibility, unless you think Sporkify was continually monitoring one of their userinfo pages (Arabella's, perhaps?), noticed within hours that one new person had friended whichever person he was monitoring (and if it was Arabella, she had a very large friends-of list, so he'd have had to be sharp-eyed), and rushed to investigate. And everyone Fandom_Scruples friended was a person who liked and admired Arabella. Most of them had commented positively on Arabella's rant and been mocked for it on Sporkify's Fandom_Wank report. Isn't it obvious that none of them were Sporkify? None of them wanked Arabella's post a full month after she made it. And none of them reported a new sockpuppet troll that was obviously designed to embarrass them and make them look bad to Fandom_Wank. Sporkify created Fandom_Scruples. And Sporkify, by all available circumstantial evidence (not to mention motive and MO), was Msscribe. Charlotte Lennox
In December 2004, LapTopGate took place. On December 23, MsScribe deleted her livejournal. Fandom_Scruples's last post was made on January 5, 2005, and failed to stir up any interest. During CharityWank, many vicious anonymous comments were posted whose IPs match MsScribe's.  MsScribe also made several logged-in comments to sapphsmum's LJ, and her behavior there caused many to dislike and defriend her.  
MsScribe did very little after this: she tried to stir up a wank against Ron/Hermione shippers   the original wank   ) and created an anonymous sockpuppet (Danitoba47  ) who used an anonymizer and sided with her "attackers" to make them look bad.
- Although it doesn’t matter much anymore, Clara asked that I write this up. (Oh, didn't Charlotte tell you that she was real? Nanea used to talk to her on the phone. Also to me. We sound different. Also, you know, when I was hospitalized Nanea talked to her because I was incapable of it. ) Frankly, I don’t think this post is all that necessary but here it goes. I was never going to post this and Clara didn't want me to but she has since changed her mind since this whole thing has put a strain (for her) on our friendship. This whole Bad Penny thing has done me a lot of good, though. I’m sure this wasn’t their intention, but it has. I’ll explain later.
- In the beginning (In know, I know, a little Biblical but bear with me) I was in a car accident. I had a head injury. The oldest was only 6 months old and so we got my neighbor’s younger cousin who had come to visit a few times to care for her (and me) during my recovery. Think I’m vying for sympathy here? Read back to me the number of posts I’ve made detailing this part of my past in the last 6 years. Like four, maybe?
- So yeah, I didn’t meet Clara on the web. We totally got online together and SarahKJames? Her college roommate (A funny chick who I’d love to get back in contact with) would come with her for weekends at my house. They’d do laundry. Oh, and in case you’re wondering, Clara isn’t her real name. We gave the fake name to Carissa Lynn because she was a cunt to Clara and Clara thought she might try to do something regarding her in school. Sarah was in art school and eventually went on to do something in Real Estate. No, she wasn’t 36. We made that up. She was gay, though, and after she moved in with her girlfriend we didn’t hear much from her. She stopped posting.
- Don’t you just love the Internet? Read the rest...
This section needs more information
- (This post does not have a title)
- I am all tired out
- On the Machiavellian machinations of a so-called fan
- androidlovesong on the Msscribe situation
- Angua's letter to Heidi on the Msscribe accusations
- Record of a Phone Conversation
- Harry Potter and the exciting fandom
- If you are angry or upset by events this week in the fandom... don't just be upset. Do something positive.
- holy hell fwank wtf
- About Ms Scribe and Me.
- ashavah is impressed with people's reactions
- aubrem on the Msscribe situation
- Anti-wank meme
- And I thought Lepptards could be bad
- tl;dr rambling non-rant
- Ginny's Problem - By MsScribe?
- (This post does not have a title)
- *stares in amazement*
- delwarean/msscribe's "husband" threatens to take legal action against Journal Fen.
- Carissa Explains It All
- bitch, please
- the Beggar's Parody
- let's talk about socks
- I may regret this, but...
- cesario on the Msscribe situation
- cesario reastion post
- The MsScribe Story
- Wow...I'm speechless...
- cleolinda on the Msscribe situation
- I'm not involved enough in this to investigate further, but...
- "matters historical, matters literary, matters cryptozoological, hobo matters..."
- Sockpuppets, 'ship wars and wank (Not on LiveJournal or JournalFen)
- Followup on msscribe
- mercurtin in fanthropology - Now we are 10, almost
- Charlotte Lenox as a writer of historical narrative
- (This post does not have a title)
- Online Personas and the Death of the Pseudonym by cupidsbow
- Oh what a tangled...woah!
- A Proportional Response
- delicious links tagged msscribe
- You know, at least it makes you really think.
- Old news to some, not news to others.
- Discusses Msscribe's husband
- Final Response to Heidi. FINAL. Siriously.
- Yes, you were wrong. You chose to believe her over the evidence that was provided to you
- Heidi just admitted she has been dupedd by MsScribe.
- Why am I always somewhere else when this sort of thing happens?
- edithmatilda's sockpuppet confession
- on the wank...
- MsScribe killed Dumbledore.
- Now that the msscribe story has been told in full...
- entrenous88 on the Msscribe situation
- erykah101 has been reading about Msscribe
- Honesty (Honest)
- In which Eso is even more rambling, unorganized, and pointless than usual
- kicking the dead hippogryph
- Oh well, c'est fandom.
- everagaby on the Msscribe situation
- Begone, Tentacle!
- fan-this on the Msscribe situation
- HOLY FUCKING CRAP!!!
- fickle-goddess on the Msscribe situation
- fourteen lines response
- Porque esto es demasiado y necesito organizarme
- 2) Just when I think 'this is over now', they go and add fuel.
- Man, I want to be famous like msscribe.
- I’d Like To Buy Fandom A Coke
- HP Fandom
- greenwoodside on the Msscribe situation
- Heidi confirming that Sporkify is a Msscribe sock
- Can't live my life this way...please let me know - and put my mind at ease for sure.
- Harry Potter Fandom: All Manners of Wanky Weirdness
- Announcement to HP fen-This is Serious Business
- What use Fandom?
- Faking Online Identies and Creating Havoc in Fandom
- A thought on the state of the fanfic
- What a to-do
- Am Up Way Too Late Again
- I Don't Understand People!
- The Saga will Never End!
- apparently msscribe's husband is threatening to sue journalfen
- Chapter 9
- sapphireisle on Msscribe and how her comments were the most hurtful
- the IP evidence from back in the day at Portkey.net
- THE CASE OF FANDOM VS MSSCRIBE
- What Does Fandom Wank Mean To You
- Define BNF
- "Get used to disappointment." -- Dread Pirate Roberts
- Record of a Phone Conversation
- I have a lot to do right now and a lot more I should be doing and I still find myself breaking off to stop and read portions of
- Aja - Me & CC; or, BNFs do not have more fun
- bookshop: i think i have a crush on charlottelennox :(
- Even Amazon has MsScribe on the brain...
- Charlotte Lennox
- The Ms.Scribe Story: An Unauthorized Fandom Biography
- Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue
- ZOMG! I turn my back for a couple years and LOOK what you wankers do! LOL
- Saved ramblings from B_P re: Why MsScribe wasn't caught
- Where is MsScribe in all this?
- A public apology.
- *glance at flist*
- An introduction of sorts...
- *curls into a curly ball*
- MsScribe's Husband Is Threatening To Sue Journalfen
- Mina de Malfois weighs in on the MsScribe situation (Mina de Malfois)
- Of IPs and Racist Anonymice
- WTF Msscribe?
- *pats Harry Potter fandom on the head*
- Found through the Charlotte Lennox memoirs
- So, I have been wanting to write some fanfic.
- A Msscribe sock
- Just freaked myself out...
- Don't make me make you think, people.
- bad_penny: it's like crack in a way.
- related to the MSSCRIBE wank
- Three Stories
- Literary reference of the day
- Making something good out of the Ms. Scribe saga
- hold that analogy
- Teh interwebs, it brings teh crazies
- *headdesk* - Using a pseudonym is not lying.
- okay. um.
- holy hell fwank wtf
- I can't argue for beans.
- The msscribegate affair
- Who are you?
- best thing to come out of the Msscribe thing
- livii response
- So yesterday's reading has got me thinking about the Harry Potter fandom
- Now this is funny
- fandom is bugshit
- lyore on the Msscribe situation
- It's not just the story of one woman's often shady dealings: it's a story about *fandom*
- Random stuff
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Fandom
- maeglinyedi on the Msscribe situation
- What was that about cunning folk using any means to achieve their ends?
- The other kind of meta-fandom
- The Curious Affair of the Sock Puppet
- metro silicon valley: News & Culture: Microconspiracies
- Socks & Muffins & Boston...oh my (with a little dash of Iwan Loving)
- Msscribe, the Fandom Mary Sue
- Just a couple things. Not really fandom related,
- So, two cents. Or knuts. Or kronurs. Or, you know. Whatever.
- when internet fakers attack!
- Fandom Strife, Sunscreen and Credulousness - an outsider's view of the msscribe affair
- mofoslotmachine on the Msscribe situation
- Something Uplifting
- The Curtain Falls on MsScribe (and other randomosities)
- lying wide awake in the garden
- that is, i think i disagree
- Why I love the internet reason #162 (Not on LiveJournal or on JournalFen)
- "A lie can run around the world before the truth can get its boots on"
- Um. . .
- Life as I know it (and a link to life as others knew it)
- Well, I heard of recent interesting goings-on in the HP fandom, concering the former MsScribe
- Thoughts I Had Re: Fandom(s)
- Way To Make (Not a LiveJournal or JournalFen entry)
- Painless-j on the Msscribe situation
- The Msscribe thing - wow. I got nuthin'. Just - wow. Madder than a bag of frogs on acid.
- Tangled Web
- My take on/issues with the Msscribe thing
- Gratuitous Msscribe Post
- And I thought my HP Fandom days were done...
- Let's blame Fandom
- No happy end
- No...tell me it isn't so
- The "other" Msscribe Story...
- Old but still I can't believe it....
- *uses icon in memoriam*
- msscribe: Making a comeback, or not!
- It's crazy ... it's insane ...
- the saga of msscribe
- The Current Thing on Bad_Penny
- (This post does not have a title)
- o_o, etc.
- tl;dr from this side of the world too
- ryf on the Msscribe situation
- Jesus Christ in a bell pepper.
- scoradh on the Msscribe situation
- msscribe reaction
- everyone else in fandom, I've been absolutely riveted by the Msscribe biography.
- Stranger than fiction
- LJ: weighing in on Internet trust
- The Definition of Fan
- this is the wank that never ends
- Metacommentary: Truthfulness in Fandom
- too much time
- ... in which it makes a thousand matches
- sparkly-stuff on the Msscribe situation
- Wait a minute.... MsScribe was BLACK?!
- A few thoughts about the fandom
- take 18
- suaine on the Msscribe situation
- It's just riveting--more fandom thoughts
- The Church of the Fannish Mind
- tangleofthorns: what I understand and what I don't understand
- Brief fannish-type posting
- telaryn: Happy Solstice!
- telesilla on the Msscribe situation
- A little scary story.
- So everybody is reading the msscribe story, aren't they?
- how i admire fandom!
- Everyone else is doing it...
- On history, mockery, and the use of evidence
- Dear former idiot friend:
- This mess keeps getting worse.
- sicker and sicker
- Evil will always win because Good doesn't have Sockpuppets
- so, fandom history, eh gents?
- (This post does not have a title)
- One of the most interesting reads I've had in a while
- For the Harry Potter people--
- Observation from the margin
- Charlotte Lennox
- fandom forever
- An Instructive and Cautionary Tale
- Don't Plan Anything For the Next Couple of Hours--I've Got Some Reading For You
- on the run by yahtzee
- Oh brother
- It just came to me
- Ali wildgoose
- Carissa Lyn
- Cassandra Claire
- Charity Wank
- Fandom Wank
- February 23, 2003
- Harry Potter
- Harry and ginny
- FictionAlley: Msscribe's stories
- Schnoogle.Com: Msscribe's stories
- Msscribe posts a public apology
- charlottelennox's account
|The Msscribe wank|
Aja - Ari_o - Babygrrl - Cassandra Claire - Ebony - Evil_erato - Flourish - Heidi8 - Irina - Ivyblossom - Jlh - Muffinbutt - Nostrademons - Plumeria - Praetorianguard - Rubydebrazier - Simon - Sisterpandora - Taotheannoying1 - Tromboneborges - Zorac - more...
|Organizations in the crossfire:|
|Learn more about the Harry Potter community by reading the information above. Add more to it by clicking the edit tab and writing more. Use the form to the left to start a new page and share your knowledge of Harry Potter history with others.|