From Fan History Wiki
Ogi Ogas on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire
|Also known as||Ogi Ogas|
|Country from||United States|
|Fandoms||Science Fiction, Fantasy|
|Joined LiveJournal||July 15, 2008|
|Dr. Ogi Ogas Personal website|
|Ogi Ogas FaceBook|
Ogi Ogas is a cognitive neuroscientist and game show contestant who was involved in a major fannish kerfluffle which became known as SurveyFail in August 2009. This was due to a survey posted on LiveJournal which was to be used in a book to be published in 2010 entitled "Rule 34: What Netporn Teaches Us About The Brain". The survey was heavily criticized by members of fandom for its poor wording, much of which was perceived as full of gender and sexuality privilege. Ogas' ethics were brought into question due to his apparent failures in methodology and lack of understanding about the fannish community from which he intended to collect data.
Ogi Ogas is a 2003 U.S. Department of Homeland Security fellow and a graduate of Loyola College in Baltimore, Maryland. The DHS funded his doctoral program at Boston University (where he is no longer affiliated) in Cognitive & Neural Systems where he studied to "develop computer algorithms and new software that can better distinguish, or 'mine,' the unusual from the usual in very large sets of data." He has since appeared on several game shows including Who Wants to be a Millionaire and Grand Slam.
- On November 7, 2006, an article about Ogas was created on Wikipedia. 
- On November 8, 2006, Ogas won $500,000 on the television gameshow Who Wants to be a Millionaire.
- In August and September 2007, Ogas was a contestant on the game show Grand Slam.
- On July 15, 2008, Ogi Ogas joined LiveJournal.
- In August 2009, Ogi Ogas signed a book contract with Penguin.
- In August 2009, Ogi Ogas became the focal point of SurveyFail after the posting of his survey, "The Cognitive Neuroscience of Fan Fiction."
- On September 1, 2009, Ogi Ogas was first featured in an RPS story paired with Sai Gaddam.,
- On September 2, 2009, it was confirmed that Ogi Ogas was no longer affiliated with Boston University except as a recent graduate. He was asked to cease using his Boston University email address in association with his project and website, and it was confirmed that his current work did not have IRB approval. Soon thereafter he locked down his LiveJournal account.
- See SurveyFail
- Science fiction and fantasy, based on his status as a moderator of m00nr0cket where he has posted three parts of a story titled "Large Gods For Small Children".,,
Below is a partial list of communities, sites and mailing lists this person belonged to at some point.
- In fandom, slashfic writers poll you. by fridgepunk
- FICLETTINO: Ogi Ogas/Sai Gaddam, or: My Response to the Neuroscience Fail Survey by lobelia321
- Dr. Ogi Ogas @ Boston University
- Ogi Ogas @ Facebook
- Ogi Ogas @ IMDB
- Ogi Ogas @ LiveJournal
- Ogi Ogas @ Wikipedia
- Ogi Ogas @ YouTube
- Fan Fiction Survey
- Rocket to the Moon
- BOSTON UNIVERSITY GRADUATE STUDENT NAMED ONE OF FIRST 100 HOMELAND SECURITY FELLOWS IN NATION
- The Gonz Show: Ogi Ogas