From Fan History Wiki
The series itself offers two primary male leads: Jared Padalecki as Sam Winchester and Jensen Ackles as older brother Dean Winchester. The series has a large appeal to both gen and slash fans, and the fact that the two lead characters are brothers has lead to Sam/Dean being one of the more popular brother-incest pairings from a television series since Simon & Simon, though not without there being some controversy within the fandom about it.
Also, due to some slash-writers aversion to incest pairings, Jared and Jensen have been widely featured in RPS fiction as well, though again not without some controversy within the fandom. Indeed, Supernatural has been unique in that it has lead many slash writers to tackle one or both of these genres which still maintain a certain taboo within the media fandom community. The fandom, indeed, seems to attract a fair amount of wank, with kerfluffles breaking out regularly over everything from incest, rpf, actor/fan- and TPTB/fan-relations, and bad fan behavior at conventions.
Multi-chapter, multi-author story lines are popular in Supernatural, both within the gen and slash fandoms. Given the supernatural theme of the show, in addition to the expected array of vampires, werewolves, and post-apocalyptic stories, fan writers explore any number of impossible situations that would otherwise be labelled Crack!Fic. Wingfic, Genderswap, and the ani-morphing of the characters into animals, are very common story and plot devices. Crossover stories are popular as well, and popular shows to write crossovers with include Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, Highlander, NCIS and Smallville
The fandom exists largely on LiveJournal and FanFiction.Net, with a few independent archives, but as of this posting no single, all inclusive archive exists. The fandom held its first online awards in early 2006, The Lawrence Awards.
The basic premise of the series involves brothers Dean and Sam Winchester travelling across the United States in a black 1967 Chevy Impala investigating and fighting paranormal events and other unexplained occurrences. Throughout season one of the series, the brothers were also seeking their father, John Winchester. After finding him, they focus on finding the demon responsible for the death of their mother two decades before, Azazel.
See also Supernatural canon release dates
Actors & Characters
The main characters on the series are:
- Jared Padalecki as Sam Winchester
- Jensen Ackles as Dean Winchester
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan as John Winchester
- Samantha Smith as Mary Winchester
- Fredric Lehne and various actors as Azazel
- Nicki Lynn Aycox as Meg Masters (2005 - 2008)
- Jim Beaver as Bobby Singer (2006 - present)
- Samantha Ferris as Ellen Harvelle (2006 - present)
- Alona Tal as Jo Harvelle (2006 - present)
- Katie Cassidy (2007 - 2008), Genevieve Cortese (2008 - 2009), and various actresses as Ruby
- Lauren Cohan as Bela Talbot (2007 - 2008)
- Misha Collins as Castiel (2008- present)
- Robert Wisdom as Uriel (2008 - present)
For minor characters, see article Supernatural minor characters.
Following the style of playing with names and "smooshing" them, the term "Wincest" was created to refer to the incestuous sexual relationship between Sam and Dean Winchester, and also may include pairings with their father, John Winchester.
- JA - Jensen Ackles --> Dean Winchester
- JP - Jared Padalecki --> Sam Winchester
- JDM - Jeffrey Dean Morgan --> John Winchester
- YED - The Yellow-Eyed Demon
General fandom timeline
Below is a partial list of events that have taken place in this fandom community.
- On September 13, 2005, the Pilot episode of Supernatural first aired in the United States.
- By late 2005 through early 2006, some Sentinel fans had migrated to the Supernatural fandom. Curiously, in transitioning to this fandom, many did not bring with them the terminology set from their old fandom, including words like smarm. 
- On May 4, 2006, the last episode of the first season of Supernatural, Devil's Trap, aired in the United States.
- On May 26, 2006, supernatural.ru was created  and quickly became the home to the largest Russian language based Supernatural fandom. 
- On August 6, 2006, Angstslashhope brought Super-wiki  online, providing fan-edited content on the characters, the production staff and crew, the fiction, episode transcripts, facts and trivia.
- On September 28, 2006, the first episode of the second season, 2.01 In My Time of Dying, aired in the United States.
- The first Supernatural convention was the primarily slash-oriented WinchesterCon held in Nashville, Tennessee in October, 2006.
- Around January 14, 2007, Supernatural fans kerfluffled over the posting by Echoing0comfort where they parodied a character from Supernatural to resemble Adolf Hitler. 
- By January 2007, Supernatural fans were posting their fan fiction to Quizilla.
- Asylum Con, a Supernatural & Smallville convention, took place on May 11-13, 2007 in Conventry, England. An incident occurred where a hysterical fan jumped on Jensen Ackles, almost bringing them both crashing to the floor.
- On May 10 and May 17, the two-part second season finale All Hell Breaks Loose, aired in the United States.
- Between June and August 2007, parts of the Supernatural community located on LiveJournal began migrating to GreatestJournal, InsaneJournal and JournalFen because of events on LiveJournal including BoldThrough and StrikeThrough. However, a large portion of the fandom remained on LiveJournal despite the hysteria running through fandom at the time regarding the service.
- A gen-oriented Supernatural convention, KazCon, took place August 2 - August 5, 2007 in Lawrence, Kansas.
- In August 2007, post comic-con, it came out that Supernatural might be cancelled. Fans started to campaign to save the show on mailing lists like Supernatural_on_The_WB and talked about contacting sponsors, encouraging them to keep up with the show.
- In late August 2007, there were issues with Russian speakers poorly translating works from English into Russian without permission of the original English-speaking author. Some of these translations were poorly done, and when this was pointed out, the translator did not fix them. Some Russian readers assumed this was a problem with the English-speaking author and they loved the story anyway, poor "writing" and all. 
- On October 4, 2007, the third-season opener The Magnificent Seven, first aired in the United States.
- Supernatural was many series affected by the 2007-2008 Writers Guild of America Strike, which began on November 5, 2007. Because of the strike, only 16 episodes were produced for the third season of the series.
- On May 15, 2008, the third-season finale, No Rest For The Wicked, first aired in the United States.
- On September 18, 2008, the fourth-season opener, Lazarus Rising, first aired in the United States.
- Please see individual articles in the Supernatural actors category for more information on these specific fandoms.
Pairings and ships
For a series with only two main characters, Supernatural has a surprising number of pairing possibilities both canon-based and not. Some guest stars have made multiple appearances, others are presented as characters from Sam and Dean's past.
Taking into consideration that for fans, all pairings are possible, the list below reflects only the most likely and/or possible due to plot points, some more likely than others, or reflective of interest by fans of seeing such pairings. (i.e. Sam/Ellen or Dean/Ellen is unlikely but the characters of Ellen is popular as is the idea of older woman/younger man.
- John/Mary (Mary Winchester is deceased as of before the pilot.)
- Dean/Cassie (on screen sex)
- Dean/Anna (on screen sex)
- Dean/Jo (on screen kiss)
- Sam/Jess (Jessica Moore dies in the pilot.)
- Sam/Sarah (on screen kiss)
- Sam/Madison (on screen sex -- Madison dies in the episode)
- Sam/Ruby (on screen sex)
- Dean/Lisa (mention of past relationship/cohabitation)
- As noted, the primary slash pairing in the fandom is Dean/Sam, but varying degrees of commonality include John/Dean and John/Sam, bringing father/son incest into the mix. Some of the other more commonly used m/m combinations are geared toward either coercive or non-consensual sex or outright rape and as such are not included in this listing as a pairing. (i.e. a popular "pair" is the Shapeshifter version of Dean from the episode Skin with Sam and the possessed-by-a-demon version of Sam from Born Under A Bad Sign with Dean. Technically they could be considered Slash merely by m/m content, but since it is unlikely for a Het pairing based solely on rape or Non con to be labeled as Het, for the purposes of this article, simple m/m combinations aren't listed as Slash either.)
- Upon the arrival of Castiel in Season 4, the slash pairing of Castiel/Dean has also appeared and become quite popular.
- With the reveal of The Trickster as the Archangel Gabriel in season 5, the pairing of Sam/Gabriel as sprung up and gained a devoted following, after a fic by kijikun.
- With the arrival of Adam Milligan in the season 4 episode Jump The Shark, the slash pairing of Dean/Adam emerged. Though not as popular as the Dean/Sam pairing it still has several fans supporting the pairing.
- RPF/RPS is very popular in Supernatural and the combinations are pretty limitless when you take in expansions such as are covered in CW RPS. Regarding Supernatural alone however, the most likely used are Jared/Jensen, JDM/Jensen, JDM/Jared and/or JDM/Jared/Jensen
Supernatural has a highly active creative community, producing many different types of fanworks.
Fan art in the Supernatural fandom tends to fall into three broad general categories: art, icons and wallpaper, and macros. They are supported by an active screencapping population. Each has its own cultural rules regarding borrowing and using images and screencaps. sn_daily is a popular livejournal community largely catered to icon and wallpaper makers.
The sudden explosion of fan fiction at the airing of Supernatural across LiveJournal, FanFiction.net, and various mail lists, makes pinpointing influential stories difficult at best. There are certainly firsts in a variety of areas, including Slash, Wincest, Genderswap, Wee!chesters, and any number of other tropes and premises. There are premises that have become popular such as Futurefic and Post-apocalyptic stories, although it could be argued that the premise of the show prompts such things rather than any single or combination of stories.
Any such listing would be highly subjective and as of yet, there is probably no single story or premise that has fundamentally changed the way a large number of fans view either the series or a particular character. Popular stories, yes, as well as universes, but popular does not necessarily equal influential.
Below is a list of common kinks, tropes and cliches in Supernatural fan fiction.
- Abuse 
- Non con 
- Anal penetration with foreign objects 
- Bottom riding top 
- Barebacking 
- Sam marking Dean
- Blood as lube 
- Hitching or ragged breathing
- Sam crying
- Discomfort during sex 
- Emotional themes 
- Guns and gun-play 
- Hand fetishization or emphasis 
- Healing or comfort sex 
- Hurt/comfort 
- MPreg 
- Public displays of affection 
- Sex with no lube 
- Sex in the Impala 
- Sexual movements "(back arching; hips lifting; thrusting back; writhing, clenching; grinding or rocking; trembling or shivering; hooking legs around shoulders; pressing someone's legs back toward the bed; riding someone's fingers)" 
- Dean shares clothes 
- Slow and/or prolonged sex 
- Underage 
- Virgin Sam 
- Vulnerable Sam 
- Washing Sam after rape 
Fan vidding plays an important role in some parts of the Supernatural fandom. It was helped by the rise of YouTube, fans bringing their vidding traditions from other fandoms and the ease of being able to create vids.
This section needs more information.
Fan Communities on the Internet
Supernatural fandom is largely internet based, with fan communities on numerous different websites, social networks, and journaling sites. The following section presents more information about these communities including timelines for their establishment.
Many people who are Supernatural fans who would be found on LiveJournal were already part of the site when the show premiered. Early on, the community had access to a number of multifandom communities which they could post early fan fiction to, such as allfandomfics and 3_ships. As the show gained in popularity and the fandom grew bigger, people created specific and then even more specific LiveJournal communities to cater to their specific needs. This transition started before the first episode of the show even aired.
Below is a timeline of LiveJournal communities focused on Supernatural:
- On May 27, 2005, the LiveJournal community wb_supernatural was created. As of April 11, 2009, the community had 60 members.
- On September 11, 2005, the LiveJournal community supernaturalfic was created.
- On September 14, 2005, the LiveJournal community sn_slash was created for slash fanfiction. 
- On October 8, 2005, the LiveJournal community supernaturalvid was created. As of April 11, 2009, th e community had 1,386 members.
- On October 17, 2005, the LiveJournal community sn_crossovers was created. 
- On October 23, 2005, the LiveJournal community wincest was created. 
- On October 29, 2005, the LiveJournal community spn_flashfic was created. 
- On October 31, 2005, the LiveJournal community supernatural100 was created.
- On November 11, 2005, the LiveJournal community sn_daily was created. 
- On November 16, 2005, the LiveJournal community snslashnotebook was created. 
- On November 16, 2005, the LiveJournal community sn_discussion was created. 
- On December 6, 2005, the LiveJournal community spn_gen was created. 
- On December 7, 2005, the LiveJournal community spn_het was created. 
- On January 23, 2006, the LiveJournal community spn_brotherlove was created. 
- On January 25,2006, the LiveJournal community spnstoryfinders was created. 
- On January 30, 2006, the LiveJournal community spn_recs was created. 
- On February 16, 2006, the LiveJournal community spnnewsletter was created. 
- On March 18, 2006, the LiveJournal community spn_betas was created. As of April 11, 2009, the community had 700 members.
- On March 31, 2006, the LiveJournal community spn_german was created. As of April 11, 2009, the community had 180 members.
- On April 9, 2006, the LiveJournal community sn_flashback was created. 
- On April 12, 2006, the LiveJournal community spn_spoilers was created. 
- On May 5, 2006, the LiveJournal community spn_heavymeta was created. 
- On May 8, 2006, the LiveJournal community spn_possession was created. 
- On September 29, 2006, the LiveJournal community spn_icons was created. As of April 11, 2009, the community had 1,182 members.
- On October 3, 2006, the LiveJournal community weecest was creatd. As of April 11, 2009, the community had 107 members.
- On December 31, 2006, the LiveJournal community capslock_spn was creatd. As of September 18, 2009, the community had 1,639 members.
- On February 8, 2007, the LiveJournal community spnroundtable was created. As of April 11, 2009, the community had 664 members.
- On March 2, 2007, the LiveJournal community spn_25 was created. As of April 11, 2009, the community had 83 members.
- On June 4, 2007, the LiveJournal community spn_smallville was created. As of April 11, 2009, the community had 63 members.
- On October 11, 2007, the LiveJournal community spn_header was created. As of April 11, 2009, the community had 260 members.
- On November 4, 2007, the LiveJournal community spn_gen_podfics was created. As of April 11, 2009, the community had 98 members.
- On November 7, 2007, the LiveJournal community encycl_of_weird was created. As of April 11, 2009, the community had 561 members.
- On February 20, 2008, the LiveJournal community spn_hardcore was created. As of June 7, 2009, the community had 740 members.
- On March 10, 2008, the LiveJournal community spn_fanfic was created. As of June 7, 2009, the community had 106 members.
- On May 1, 2008, the LiveJournal community wincest_fic was created. As of June 7, 2009, the community had 56 members.
- On May 1, 2008, the LiveJournal community spn_monthlyfic was created. As of June 7,2009, the community had 27 members.
- On June 14, 2008, the LiveJournal community spn_theboys was created. As of June 7, 2009, the community had 114 members.
- On July 1, 2008, the Spanish-language LiveJournal community spn_boys was created. As of June 7, 2009, the community had 91 members.
- On July 8, 2008, the LiveJournal community otherside_fic was created for Fringe, Smallville, Supernatural, and Heroes crossovers. 
- On August 19, 2008, the LiveJournal community spn_drabble was created. As of June 7, 2009, the community had 98 members.
- On November 6, 2008, the LiveJournal community deansam_lims was created. As of June 7, 2009, the community had 28 members.
- On November 16, 2008, the LiveJournal community spnforthesane was created. As of November 14, 2009, the community had 480 members.
- On December 12, 2008, the LiveJournal community onlywincestj2 was created. As of June 7, 2009, the community had 138 members.
- On February 5, 2009, the LiveJournal community spn_vs_cops_fic was created. As of April 11, 2009, the community had 46 members.
- On April 4, 2009, the LiveJournal community spn_im was created. As of April 11, 2009, the community had 4 members.
- On April 5, 2009, the LiveJournal community spnwaywardsons was created. As of April 11, 2009, the community had 43 members.
Prior to 2007, a number of Supernatural fans on LiveJournal had migrated to LiveJournal clones including Blurty, DeadJournal, GreatestJournal, InsaneJournal and Scribblit. The events of Strikethrough only helped accelerate part of this migration. Each service developed its own unique culture, and demographics. GreatestJournal, prior to its collapse in late 2007, was mostly known for its role playing.
Below is a partial timeline of events on LiveJournal clones, sorted by site:
- On December 18, 2005, the GreatestJournal community supernatural_wb was created. 
- On February 16, 2006, the GreatestJournal community supernaturalvid was created. 
- On April 15, 2006, the GreatestJournal community spn_blogcrew was created. 
- On April 17, 2006, the private Supernatural/Veronica Mars rpg spn_vm_girls on GreatestJournal was created. 
- On September 26, 2006, the GreatestJournal community cwshows was created. 
- On December 26, 2006, the Supernatural rpg GreatestJournal community hunters_hideout was created. 
- On January 18, 2007, the Supernatural real person fic GreatestJournal community spn_rps was created. 
- On April 9, 2007, the Supernatural rpg GreatestJournal community inthedark_rpg was created. 
- On April 15, 2007, the GreatestJournal community supernatural_au was created. 
- On April 29, 2007, the GreatestJournal community supernaturalfic was created. 
- Between June and August 2007, parts of the Supernatural community located on LiveJournal began migrating to GreatestJournal, InsaneJournal and JournalFen because of events on LiveJournal including BoldThrough and StrikeThrough.
- On June 1, 2007, the GreatestJournal community spn_fangather07 was created. 
- On June 7, 2007, the Supernatural icon GreatestJournal community super_icontest was created. 
- On July 17, 2007, the GreatestJournal community spnfans was created. 
- On July 24, 2007, the GreatestJournal community spn_random was created. 
- On August 3, 2007, the GreatestJournal community spn_xx was created. 
- On August 5, 2007, the GreatestJournal community spn_slash was created. 
- On August 11, 2007, the GreatestJournal community spn_fanfics was created. 
GreatestJournal had stability problems, wasn't able to handle the loan and other suspicious problems were going on behind the scenes. This caused some people to abandon the site for InsaneJournal which wasn't without controversy itself. Some people had problems with the name of the site and the name of the site's communities, finding it insulting and belittling to people with mental health issues.
- On June 2, 2007, the InsaneJournal community supernatural_tv was created.  As of August 13, 2007, it had 63 members.
- On June 4, 2007, the InsaneJournal community spn_fic was created.  As of August 13, 2007, it had 69 members and was watched by 101 people.
- On June 18, 2007, the InsaneJournal community spn_100 was created.  As of August 13, 2007, it had 20 members and was watched by 29 people.
- On August 3, 2007, the InsaneJournal community supernaturalfic was created.  As of August 13, 2007, it had 73 members.
- On August 4, 2007, the InsaneJournal community spn_xx was created.  As of August 13, 2007, it was watched by 4 people.
- On August 5, 2007, the InsaneJournal spn_slash was created.  As of August 13, 2007, it had 27 members and was watched by 44 people.
- On August 8, 2007, the InsaneJournal community spn_newsletter was created.  As of August 13, 2007, it had 21 members and was watched by 36 people.
JournalFen is a fan-run blogging site that requires members to be 18 or older. It is also the home to fandom wank. Both of these were reasons why a number of Supernatural fans avoided creating a home on JournalFen.
- On July 25, 2007, the JournalFen community spn_porn was created. 
- On August 5, 2007, the JournalFen Supernatural real person fic community spn_rps was created. 
- On August 8, 2007, the JournalFen community evilsam_spn was created. 
- On August 9, 2007, the JournalFen community spn_recs was created. 
- On August 10, 2007, the JournalFen community spn_club was created. 
Mailing lists play and important role in centralizing some parts of the Supernatural fandom and in letting far flung parts of the fandom know what is going on.
- On December 27, 2004, the mailing list Supernatural_on_The_WB was created.  It was dedicated to Supernatural.
- On July 18, 2005, the mailing list ASupernaturalLife was created. 
- On July 19, 2005, the mailing list All_Supernatural was created. 
- On July 28, 2005, the mailing list TheCW-Supernatural was created. 
- On September 21, 2005, the mailing list Jensen_Ackles_Online_Support_Team was created. 
- On September 22, 2005, the mailing list supernaturalseries was created. 
- On October 15, 2005, the mailing list SN_Deans_Trunk was created. 
- On November 10, 2005, the mailing list supernaturalfans was created. 
- On November 11, 2005, the mailing list superdays was created. 
- On November 13, 2005, the mailing list superjared was created. 
- On November 23, 2005, the mailing list Supernatural-TheWinchesterBoys was created. 
- On November 23, 2005, the mailing list TheCWsSupernatural was created. 
- On March 1, 2006, the the mailing list SPN-D was created. 
- On March 1, 2006, the the mailing list SPN-L was created. 
- On May 12, 2006, the mailing list supernaturalfanfic was created. 
- During mid-December 2007, the Supernatural_on_The_WB mailing list were wishing Robin a happy birthday.
- In August 2007, due to a rumor that Yahoo!Groups was removing users who were lurking on mailing lists in this fandom, a number of mailing lists saw an increase in participation so that would not happen. While this rumor was not true, and Yahoo was only removing people who had e-mail accounts bouncing in excess of six months, it did not stop a certain level of hysteria.
- On August 13, 2007, the Supernatural_on_The_WB mailing list was talking about how fitting it would be for "Tropical Depression 4 is moving toward the west near 21 miles per hour with maximum sustained winds near 35 mph." to be named Tropical Storm/Hurricane Dean.
There is a large and active fan base on MySpace. People use groups to communicate, blog and create accounts to promote their fan projects. Below is a partial timeline of events that took place in the Supernatural fandom on MySpace.
- On July 21, 2005, the MySpace group supernaturalfansrock was created.  As of August 13, 2007, it has 1,729 members.
- On August 28, 2005, the MySpace group JensenAckles was created.  As of August 13, 2007, it has 1,030 members.
- On August 29, 2005, the MySpace group supernaturalwbshow was created.  As of August 13, 2007, it had 2,279 members.
- To give an idea as to the size of the fandom, there are 7,068 stories on FanFiction.Net,  9,258 memoried entries in Supernaturalfic and 2,020 Livejournal members with posting access, 31 stories on FicWad , 3 stories on [Mightier Than The Sword] 
- As of April 15, 2007, 2,022 people had posting access to the LiveJournal community supernaturalfic, and there were 1,642 people watching. Although not an absolute indicator of size, the comm allows posting and submissions of any and all fan works regardless of genre or rating, and includes art, vids, and RPF/RPS. Overlap between watchers and members is likely to be considerable.
- In comparison, as of April 15, 2007, the spnnewsletter had 1,857 members, but was being watched by 2,952 people. Overlap between watchers and members is likely to be considerable.
- As of May 23, 2007, there are 141 Supernatural stories on FanLib. 
- As of December 13, 2007, there are 222 stories on FanLib. It is the 11 most popular fandom on the site. 
- As of December 18, 2007, there are 1,117 fans of Supernatural on FanPop. 
- As of February 20, 2008, there are 13,599 stories on FanFiction.Net. 
See main article, Supernatural kerfluffles, for more information.
- Official CW home page for Supernatural 
- Warner Brothers official Supernatural homepage . Site is interacative and flash-heavy, but provides insider information including John Winchester's journal.
- Supernatural @ FanLib
- Supernatural @ FanPop
- Supernatural @ FanWorksFinder
- Supernatural Wiki (Super-Wiki), a wikipedia specifically concerned with Supernatural canon and fandom
- Fandom History @ Super-Wiki - a chronological history of events in Supernatural Fandom
- Dean + Food = thinky thoughts & picspam by ash68 on December 18, 2009
- Supernatural: 5.10 Abandon All Hope ...: Last Words? (Part Two - Meta Commentary and Production Notes) by bardicvoice on December 14, 2009
- Supernatural: Supernatural and the Meta Mirror by nataliezutter on WordPress on December 20, 2009
- Supernatural: Constructs of normality and unreality in Supernatural by ulorean on WordPress on December 20, 2009
Below is a partial list of articles and academic sources to help you continue to learn about this community.
|Learn more about the TelevisionFic community by reading the information above. Add more to it by clicking the edit tab and writing more. Use the form to the left to start a new page and share your knowledge of TelevisionFic history with others.|